Sunday, March 2, 2008

Stricken By God?

A new book, Stricken By God? edited by Brad Jersak looks at the crucifixion and and challenges the typical western understanding of what was happening. For those looking for a book review, you won't find it here since I have not read the book. (I've promised myself that I am not starting another book until I have finished reading all the others I am reading: Dear Birth Mother, Everything Must Change, Dreaming With God, The Shack, Home Learning Year by Year, and Renegade's Magic). I have seen an interview with Mr. Jersak that piqued my curiosity. This led me to do a search where I found some interesting blogs about the Eastern Orthodox view point. (You can see them here, here, here, here and here).
I am still very much in the studying, learning, and questioning phase of contemplating this issue. For those of you who did not click the links to read or watch what this other idea of the atonement is about I will try to sum it up. Basically the western view is that Christ had to die to take the punishment for our sins. God's justice would not allow him to just forgive us, someone had to take the punishment. When Christ took that sin upon himself God had to look away because he cannot look at sin. The Eastern Orthodox view (really, read the stuff I've linked, they explain it better) is that Christ death was a part of the redemption of humankind. Jesus died to ransom us from the devil. Jesus' blood had to be shed so that we could unite with him (by drinking his blood, eating his body). This is very basic, but I think I have the general idea correct.
My main, "but what about..." is Romans 5:9-10 "Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath through him! 10 For if, while we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!" If anyone knows how the Eastern church would see this verse, I'd be happy to hear it.
I think the reason I find this so fascinating is that the Eastern Orthodox view point is so alien to me. Suddenly I'm seeing verses I thought I knew in a new light. That is exciting to me. I love it when God says, "Look at this, bet you did not notice that before!" The journey of grappling with unfamiliar ideas is tantalizing enough for me to overcome my fears of falling into "error" and allow God to draw me closer through the journey.
I want to encourage you to join the journey. Take time to read about what Christ did for you. Read view points from a different tradition or denomination than yours. Ask God to guide you in the journey and give you a deeper understanding of who he is.

No comments: