Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Longing

Your terrifying joy enraptures me with longing.
I need the hush of holiness exploding in me,
quieting my silence with your thundering song–
“Jesus” whispered like a butterfly’s wing
storming through my desert heart,
wetting, drenching, deluging all my tears
into diamonds of honest praise.

Read my name from the palm of your hand.
Or let me crouch there tracing holiness with my finger,
Drunk from the glorious sobriety of it all
I could fade into the lines of your finger,
Or be swept away with the angels in praise.

Walk over my skin, like the hills of Galilee,
my body heavy with your holiness.
Or camp in the cave of my heart and fade into its crevices,
Cracking my contempt into gratefulness.

I want to be washed away in the silence of your majesty
To be a wave in the endless sea of your praise,
To evaporate into you.

No comments: